Pages

Sunday 10 July 2016

More fun...



If all the 'jolly japes' pictures are to be believed; it would appear that the fun pretty much; never stops round here. 

 Of course its not all skipping about; giggling girlishly whilst wearing a bunnet; a basket 'pon ones arm. But; even seemingly mundane tasks; such as hoeing beetroot in this sunny afternoons' skittish breeze can be pleasurable if you are in the zone...
Undertaken with a presence of mind; on the job; with that almost medititive flow; that you can experience whilst undertaking any purposeful activity once you've got the knack..

 With the proviso that you're reasonably comfortable with whatever else is going on inside your noggin. 
Sunshine helps; birdsong; fluffy clouds; green trees; all that stuff that we are told we should get more of; to relieve the anxiety brought on by 'modern life'..... Whatever that is?...Rather depends on whom you ask.

Hmmnn; all well and good; if what you're mainly suffering from is being bunged up in an office nine to five. Then yes; undoubtedly 'outdoors' in all its forms can be restorative.
But where does that leave those of us who spend most of our working lives outside; if we are still troubled? 
Are we by definition abject failures? If still; despite all the bucolic bliss; we are unable to shift the stress?

I think it comes down as much to a change of perspective; or even environment. I met a friend for a drink yesterday afternoon; for one of those rambling chats that could have given time; gone on for three days; or longer....

 But all in good time... She too spends most of her days outside; so despite the weather being clement; and there being tables free by the canal; we gave ourselves the treat of sitting indoors... Could also be argued that the beer contributed to the cheer... Very pleasant; for the peasants... Mutual unburdening... Thereby lightening some of the load.



Dont fall in.... Or at least warn me first.....So I can get the best angle..

So then after a few duties this Sunday morn it was time to be off again; quick spin on the bike down to the coast; leafy lanes; shingle beach; and back in time for elevenses... On the way home; crossing the River Otter I came across this chap; and his mate..
Middle aged men especially; I have noticed seem to have a particular talent for quite guiltlessly enjoying their leisure. And good for them I say; its just the rest of us; that need to catch up.

River fishing; or indeed any kind of fishing doesn't really appeal to me. I tried casting off the beach one time; and the greatest profit from the whole enterprise; in terms of enjoyment; was experienced by 'Man Friday' who was tutoring... 

He said it gave him uncommon pleasure to witness me; not being totally competent at something*... Some folks might have been offended at this judgement; but I know it was meant in totally good heart; and humour... 

I guess having spent all my life doing 'practical' things; one way or another I could come across as irritatingly able; in several fields... 
I reserve the write however to still be a bit rubbish at computers... There has to be some reason for having kids; after all...

(* And anyway my lifetimes catch rate didn't suffer; I have in fact caught tens of thousands of slippery ones in my fish farming time; only by the vastly more efficient method of dragging a Seine Net; then pumping out the rest of the lakes water so the poor blighters can't get away)


So I thought with an audience; this fisherman would have no chance of bagging his catch; but within five minutes of my arresting on the bridge 4lbs 2 oz of grey flapping mullet was in the landing net...

Now; if prior to leaving home this chap had announced to his housemate...

"I'm going down to play by the river with Pete."

Or if the solitary fisherman staring intently at the ripples further upstream; had told his interlocutor

"I'm off to meditate by the riverbank"

Then either of these 'manly' men might have feared coming across a tad childish; or fey...

But what else were they reely doing? 
Playing; contemplating; immersing themselves innocently; in an activity that had no function whatsoever (the fishy was tossed back; not eaten )
 Quite naturally they had lots of important equipment to fuss over; and fiddle with; that's also part of the fun...

I don't mean to mock at all; not one jot... 
I have a deep admiration; nay envy; for the skilful infusing of import; with which  some folks manage to flavour their enjoyable outdoor pursuits. 
A talent which I would not seek to denigrate in the slightest; rather; if anything I believe more of us should strive to emulate this laudable talent...

What I find a sad shame though; is if we can't take some of that sense of total absorption; and pleasure into our everyday; required activities.

I wonder if some of the 'not liking work' problem; doesn't come from being expected to be a serious, suffering, productive unit
Not wanting to be seen to be having any fun at all whilst we go about our labours. When in fact meaningful tasks; done with a modicum of pride can be pretty satisfying. I guess the devil is in that 'meaningful' bit...

Of course there are some things we'd prefer to do over others...
So then we might have to integrate the principal of "Eat the Frog First"
i.e. Complete as priority; the task we're least looking forward to; then reward ourselves with the funner stuff later.

But make sure you're not going searching for extra frogs as some kind of 'self' punishment; as in truth; I suspect few of us have reely been that naughty..... :)

So a few bits of 'serious' paperwork loom (soggily?) in my pond now... Might have to quit with the 'mucking about' for a few days... We'll see....

But in the spirit of 'Just because I like this stuff'....... A rather fine compact and characterful  specimen collected; on behalf of the Wiggly Tin Appreciation Society










No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment; or question....But be warned; you might get a reply...